The Family Court retains jurisdiction to enforce and modify its orders. Just because your case has a final order, it is not necessarily over. You should hire an experienced family law attorney to begin with, but if you need to modify the final judgment, you should choose competent legal representation, an attorney with a thorough knowledge of the law, who will properly investigate and prepare your case.

The Court has the authority to find you in contempt if you engage in any willful, repeated, persistent, or serious violation of any of the provisions of the final judgment. For example, if you are ordered to pay child support and you fail to comply with the order, the other party can seek to have you held in contempt of court. If you are found in contempt, the court will order you to pay the other side’s attorney’s fees and can even sentence you to jail for an indefinite period of time.

Modification proceedings, on the other hand, do not necessarily involve fault on the part of anyone. Usually you can seek a modification of the final judgment based on a substantial change in circumstances. Don’t allow yourself to be held in contempt or miss the opportunity to modify the final judgment.

Contact attorney Yveline Paul at (786) 536-4567 or (863) 675-6752 for assistance with your family matter.