Every year, the United States welcomes thousands of foreign workers in different occupations or employment categories. These include artists, researchers, cultural exchange participants, information technology specialists, religious workers, investors, scientists, athletes, nurses, agricultural workers and others. All foreign workers must obtain permission to work legally in the United States. Each employment category for admission has different requirements, conditions and authorized periods of stay. It is important that you comply with the terms of your application or petition for admission and visa. Any violation can result in removal or denial of re-entry into the United States.

You can visit the United States temporarily for business purposes. You will need to obtain a visa as a temporary visitor for business (B-1 visa), unless you qualify for admission without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.

You can also enter the U.S. as a temporary worker, i.e. an individual seeking to enter the United States temporarily for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrants enter the United States for a temporary period of time, and once in the United States, they are restricted to the activity or reason for which their nonimmigrant visa was issued.

Finally, you can enter the United States as a permanent immigrant worker. A permanent worker is an individual who is authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.